Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gems

Do you have any "gems" in your life???  You know, as your traveling life's rocky path all gray and brown, you pass by a colorful sparkling gem and it makes you stop in your tracks??  I am so blessed to have met many gems in my 35 I mean 29 years.  People who come along at just the right time to bring a little cheer, a listening ear, some crazy laughs, or some amazing wisdom.  And I love how God knows just when we need them.  I often feel isolated raising these 3 boys and particularly Noah as social settings can be so stressful for him and consequently me, but I am so thankful that my gems are always there no matter what even when I feel like an idiot and the worst parent who ever walked the face of the earth.  Though I find my self worth in mothering far too often (another post all in itself), they accept me for who and what I am and even for what I'm not.  That my friends, is when you know you have found a true gem.  I find gems come in all shapes and forms- friends, parents, grandparents, coaches, and sometimes even complete strangers. 

I think some of the most incredible gems are those who have taken on the high calling of teacher.  I have the utmost respect for these amazing human beings, and I understand their journey to some extent because I've walked in their shoes.  I've dealt with crazy kids, I've listened to unhappy parents, I've tried over and over to get a concept through to no avail, and I've sat back and watched the light in a child's eyes when they finally "get it".  It's a job like no other and I see so many give everything they have to help children acheive greatness.  This year especially, I have encountered a gem...a very rare gem.  This gem absolutely loves what she does.  And she is gifted beyond her years at doing the job she loves.  This gem is Noah's teacher.  How God works all these things out I will never know, but I guess that's why He's God and they are things I will never know on this side of eternity- but I know without a doubt that He prepared this gem and us for the exact moment our paths would cross and I'm so grateful.  Noah is not an easy child to have in a classroom- he does not fit into any box, he does not follow a predictable pattern, and he doesn't view the world the way anyone else does.  This amazing gem has loved my little gem unconditionally.  She has fought for him, protected him, supported him, held him accountable, and loved him.  And there have been some ROUGH days- and on those days, she finds at least one positive thing from the day to share.  And my little gem has thrived and grown and is a better little gem because of having spent time with her.  I am amazed at the classroom climate she has fostered and my gem has been so loved by the others in his classroom because of this.  He has received compliment notes from others, been included in groups, and has kids who are kind to him at recess.  And now alas, this gem will be leaving us :(.  It's not that I am not absolutely thrilled that this gem is going to become a mommy in a couple short weeks- I am so happy for her and know she will be an excellent mother, but selfishly, I am sad for my little gem- and let's face it myself- who will have to finish out the year without her.  She gets him, she knows him, she does things that work for him even if they are out of the box, and most of all she believes in him.  And so, it is bittersweet to see her go, but I am SO thankful for the gem that is staying- his aide- and that is another gem story all together!  So, thank you God for this special gem you've given us for this time and thank you for the eyes you gave her to see my little gem and to take the time to stop along life's path of gray and brown and pick him up and take him under her wing and to realize what a beauty she is holding.  Thank you for eyes that see diamonds in the rough.

And now a few "gems" of another kind:

Landon asked me if he could use Noah's headphones at school (the noice cancelling kind) because other kids are too distracting to him.  I told him I knew his teacher had some and maybe he could just borrow those.  He looked at me and said "Mom- what about the fleece???"  He was referring to head lice :).

Mark and Carson were working on locating a draft in our fireplace and Carson came over and told me "We haven't found the giraffe yet, but we're still looking!"

Carson:  "Something smells good."  Noah:  "I think that's just mom."

Landon: "Mom, Marcus knows how to do a top fly."  I still have no clue what he was referring to as he was talking about basketball...

Landon:  "Mom, since your birthday is one day before Papa's, are you one day older than him?"  Thanks son.

Just a few...more that I have been racking my brain to remember and can't.  Must write them down for next time- this old lady is already suffering from memory loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment